Saturday, December 3, 2011

John Dickinson Speaks on the Responsibility for National Service

“I observed a curious phenomena as I traveled the United States of today.  Most people believe the “government” owes them something.  The idea that the people themselves are the government has been largely lost.  Both rich and poor often adopt the attitude that they should get as much as possible from the government.  In our day, if we wanted something from the government we felt the responsibility to make it happen.  I myself, although born rich and a lawyer by profession, volunteered for the militia and raised troops for the Revolution.  Despite my refusal to sign the Declaration of Independence (because I wanted to make another appeal to King George), bowing to the inevitable, I became a private in the Delaware militia and served during the war.  I wish I could have been well enough to sign the Constitution that I helped to author, but I am proud that one of my cohorts signed for me.  To me the notion of a commitment by every citizen to some form of national service is essential to our democratic form of government.  It is we who owe the government a personal commitment, not the other way around.
“Some believe that the taxes we pay are our contribution to government, and perhaps there is some merit in this argument since taxes have become so high.  But the kind of commitment needed from citizens is to bring their talents to serve the needs of the nation, not just their pocketbooks.  Every citizen shares this obligation to personally make the country better.  I would argue that a period of service, in some capacity, should be an obligation of every citizen.  Such service could be in the military, as a Peace Corps volunteer, as a government employee, as a Congressman, etc.  In any case citizens would have the opportunity to make some part of the government or the country better.  I believe this service should start prior to each citizen’s 40th birthday and, if not started by then, the individual should be drafted into an appropriate form of service that takes advantage of his/her skills and education.  Satisfactory completion of this service would be a requirement for continued citizenship.
“Notice that one such form of government service proposed is as a civilian government employee.  The implication here is that during the required period of service, the policy of paying market value for the employee should be suspended and the pay should be comparable to military or Peace Corps service, regardless of the position the individual is in.  This would engender the proper spirit of sacrifice and service, and at the same time reduce the cost to the government.  Immigrants to the US could also be required to perform this service as a condition of citizenship.
“The United States cannot remain a great democracy without the active participation of all of its citizens in their government.”

No comments:

Post a Comment